Tuesday, July 17, 2007

THE Billy Graham Experience!

I have been thinking a lot lately about the impact my life has on people. I am not sure if it is positive or negative or has even touched let alone impacted anyone in its eighteen years so far. Does that matter? Is that all I am here for? The word 'impact' just a heaviness to it. When I use it it makes me feel powerful. Like the lives of those around me are like molding clay in my hands. And we always say "impact on people" as if touching one life isn't enough. But what makes something an impact. Who are we to judge our actions like that.

For a long time I have wanted to have a "Billy Graham Experience" where my impact is so great it touches thousands...no millions of people. For those of you who know me ( which could be very few depending on the success in number of readers) would not really see this dream as me. I am not the girl at center stage belting out a C or walking down the runway or voted most likely to succeed or even on the ballot for that matter. I just do not stand out. So this "Billy Graham Experience" is way out of reach for a girl that is camoflauged by the world around her. But who's to say we all are not having "Billy Graham" moments each time we serve.

I mean think about it. If we say our God is in the little things ( I mean he knows the number of hairs on my head) then why can't our little deeds matter or have impact. I am not saying to go out and count the number of hairs on peoples' heads to see if they are changed but...I think I focus to often on the numbers aspect. I have yet to lead anyone to the Lord, so does that mean I should quit serving others. NO! There are countless people working to keep this blog up on the internet, but no one notices until of course we get a bug and wonder why they can not get it right. So out of the thousands of times it does work we focus on the one time it doesn't.

I am headed off to Mexico tomorrow on a solo-missions trip. I am not going to be holding church services every night or bi-weekly or anytime for that matter. But I am going to be teaching English to a group of 10 or so girls. Because I am not preaching the gospel does that mean I am not telling of it. Christ calls us to be the body, but we all can't be the mouth. I think we want to be the mouth because it gets a lot of attention but we do not have the skills or tendencies to be center stage all the time. Somebody has to be the arm that does the work or the leg that gets them there. Or the hand that stuffs bulletins full of announcements. See a body is not complete with out all the parts. Most of the time it can function, just not as well as it could.

I used this in my support letter--but I believe it is valid. One stone can be thrown into the largest of lakes whether big or small it makes ripples. It has an impact on the area around it. The size of the rock determines the size of the ripple but not if there is going to a ripple or not. That physics. Can the same be said of our faith life. If we are place in an area do we see change. I think we do. It may not be the splash we are looking for, but our stone of talent can make its difference. But in order to make a ripple we have to serve.

And it's not until we all throw in our stones that we begin to make waves!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

well, i think you stand out more than you realize. i can't wait to hear all about the ripple you are making and just a thought but perhaps it's the size of our faith and not the size of the spiritual "body part" that determines our ripple/impact.

you write great too!

Peter said...

Hi Staci, glad to hear your doing OK in Mexico. Nice writing. About your profile; i can garanteed your words. Didn't know your favorit movie is the return of the pink panter, like it also.

Amanda said...

Hola Amiga Staci!

I hope you are doing well in your first few days of your mission. I am praying for your safety and comfort while you are away. Please know that you are in our thoughts back home. Now that I am next to Ben's office, we are talking alot again about our Mexico experience. He said today he was going to call Arturo and see how you are settling in.
Your first night there, it was about 1am here and I lied in bed for two hours just thinking about what we were doing at that time when we were there before and what you might be doing then - sleeping I imagine. Can you tell I am envious?
Haven't heard yet if October is approved - still waiting for that decision but will let you know as soon as I know so you can pass the word.
Have you seen Rafael and Sandra and their family yet?
Please send my greetings to Carmen, Arturo, Belen and Hadlai as well as everyone else.
Hope you are doing well.
God Bless,
Amanda